Thursday, December 1, 2016

Late post but the rule is: there aren't any rules.

Well its Wednesday, November 30th and I for one cannot believe it.  Tomorrow will be December 1st the countdowns will begin (if they haven't already) until Christmas and the sugary treats will be made and consumed more often THIS month than probably any other.

And yet I still have thoughts of Thanksgiving.

It was just a week ago that we were traveling north with anticipation of gathering with cousins, eating turkey and maybe just maybe we would check out the lack of shopping in my smallish hometown on the so-called "Black Friday".

But why is it the images we have formed in our heads of what the days should be and what we think it may feel like aren't the reality of what happens?

Do we put to much pressure on ourselves to have the perfect experience?

Do we forget that everyone has different feelings and ideas as to what should be done and when it should be done?

Once during a summer gathering the following quote was mentioned:  "The rule is, there aren't any rules".  Another words, you don't have to participate in an activity if you don't want to.  (There is no rule saying you must) You don't have to feel guilty for not joining in.  You should not be made to feel guilty by others if you choose NOT to participate.  That is THE rule.  There is NO rule.

My mind says....so have fun and enjoy what ever YOU decide to do and make the most of it!!

We lived by it that week.  It did take off the pressure of feeling you should go along with an outing even if all you wanted to do was take a nap.  And it memory serves me right...it also alleviated any eye rolling that might come with someone declining an invitation.  You don't want to come, fine don't come.  (And don't be upset if you miss out on a lot of fun or story telling after).

The only thing wrong with that rule.........human nature has a nasty way of creeping in our heads.

Issue:  We might REALLY want the OTHER to join in.

Issue:  We may think all THEY want to do is lie around or play video games or watch Netflix or scan every social media site or avoid others completely.

Issue:  We may think they are choosing to withdraw and not interact because of the above mentioned rule.

Issue:  We may get upset when THEIR choices effect others enjoyment and attitude WHEN IN REALITY WE are the only ones in charge of our OWN enjoyment, smiles, and attitude.  Man reality sucks sometimes.

Or maybe that "so called" Vacation Rule.....is not the rule we want to live by....because it withdraws all control?!

Does this really only happen to me???

Sometimes it takes me a while to think through things.  I constantly run conversations over and over in my mind wishing I had said this or that and then coming up with completely out of this world solutions to every ones problem.  Yes, even the World's Problems!  

My mind runs amuck.

And what good does this do?  Where does it get me?

Um-------NO WHERE!

I become bear like.  I hibernate.  I may eat or drink a little much.  I develop a lot of extra stressors and it shows through things such as back aches, head aches, spine aches, stomach aches, and sleep.  I am exhausted from nothing physical but everything mental.

And above all else??  My menstrual cycle is whacked.  Which to any other 47 year old female that means....I am definitely in the beginning stages of menopause and my hormones are out of control.


Let the fun begin!!




No comments: